Losing a pet is the same as losing a family member. It can be such a difficult time for a family. I never personally realized how difficult until we lost our 2 boys (dogs) in less than 5 months of one another. It has been so hard on our family. Each step we take or situation that happens in our day the thoughts and memories of Aleksander (6 years) & Oscar (14.5 years old) are there. Aleksander was a European Doberman, he was the leader of the pack & the guide in our family. Oscar was by my side for 14.5 years & he was a trooper. Aleksander was driven by providing service and protection to us as a family and Oscar was driven by food and physical touch.
The presence of animals in our lives impact each family member in different way. Animals have such amazing qualities that we as humans can learn from.
- The love from these boys was unconditional & consistent. We were blessed as a family to have them as part of our family.
- They both taught us different life lessons & I hope that they know the love that we have for them.
- Patience and Consistency – Animals are reliant on us for love, touch, food, and companionship. As a family, we tried each and every day to make them happy, losing a pet is so difficult.
- Walking through the doors and being greeted is an amazing feeling whether you are human or an animal. Take time to hug and love on those that are close to you. Life changes so quickly and you never know how long you have with someone. Personally, our home is not the same without their presence. I miss sneaking around the corner and seeing Oscar silently sleeping & I miss the “Doberman Smile” that Aleksander would greet me with. The memories of these 2 boys are vivid, their smell, and their funny quirks I miss painfully. I pray that they continue to guide us on our life journey. I look forward to the day that they are there for us as we cross over to the other side. I know that they both will be waiting to us guide on the rest of our journey. So thankful they came into our lives & our family, teaching us what true love & loyalty is.
- Develop special ways to remember your fur babies. They will always remain in your hearts and they will be there on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge waiting for you.
To learn more about the benefit of Pet Therapy please take time to read this article from the Mayo Clinic.
To learn more Ocean Vista Counseling and Kathleen Coughlin please click here.