Infertility Counseling is available to families that may be having difficulty coping with emotions related to infertility treatment. The counselor will support and assist you in staying strong during this difficult time. In your Infertility Counseling sessions, the counselor will be able to help you sort through your options so you can make an informed choice. They will work directly with your specialist to provide them the necessary documentation required.
The Licensed Counselor will meet with you and/or your family members to discuss the plan that you have decided on. After the meeting, the counselor will prepare a letter to your specialist noting if they feel that you are prepared to proceed forward with the identified course of treatment. By working with a counselor that has specialized experience working with couples with infertility issues, you can begin to sort through your treatment options.
In the sessions, the counselor may ask some of the following questions:
- They may ask for you to clarify what decision you have made related to future treatment.
- If you have a partner, the counselor will meet with both of you to see if you are in agreement.
- Discuss whether or not you plan on telling your family or friends about your decision to use a donor. The counselor may also make recommendations on some ways to share the information if you choose.
- Open communication about what it would mean in the future for the child if you choose a closed or open donor.
- If a donor or surrogate hasn’t been chosen, there may be discussion about the criteria you are looking for in a donor.
- Open discussion regarding what you plan on telling your child in the future related to how they were conceived.
Infertility Assessments are available for Donor Sperm, Donor Egg, IVF, and Adoption. Please feel free to contact the office directly at 386-449-8600. Sessions are offered in our office or through Online Telehealth Counseling through a secure HIPAA Compliant Platform. Please learn more about Kathleen Coughlin, LCSW by reviewing her biography.